Wednesday, November 25, 2009

November 25 Wash & Hair Cut Day

Today was a close to home day…no sightseeing or shopping. In the afternoon, Bev went of to the laundry centre in the RV park while I went on adventure to get a hair cut. I asked at the front desk about a local barbershop but they said “Oh, just go to any salon and get it cut like everyone else. Drive down the street and drop in.”

Huh? Beauty salon…for girls and women? Women cutting guys hair? What is the world coming to? I stop in a Julie’s Beauty Salon where we had previously spotted a sign listing haircuts for...wait for this…$5.  That’s right…five US bucks. As I enter, I see men, women, and children sitting in the waiting area. As I approach the desk, I see a sign saying men have to pre-pay for hair cuts. I guess women don’t pre-pay as their costs would vary depending on what they wanted done. I am instructed to have a seat after anteing up the $5. Just a few minutes later and I am led into the cutting area where 8 or 10 women were cutting, dying, and perming hair. My turn in the chair and I ask for just a regular hair cut with a taper at the back. My usual. She asks “Do want scissors or clippers?” I’ve never had this option before so I go for the usual clippers. The end result looks just fine, short and neat. I am ready for Mexico.

It suddenly dawns on me that this is the first time since early childhood that a women has cut my hair, and that was my Mom. What a chauvinistic lifestyle I have led!

I arrive back at the park to help out with the rest of the laundry. Chauvinistic and domesticated concurrently.

We spend the rest of the day preparing for the big day tomorrow, Thanksgiving Day II. Bev prepares stuffing and I prepare the turnip.

No comments:

Post a Comment